You will agree that Metatrader 4 is the most popular terminal for trading today. This is due to its ease of use and a large set of trading instruments. But nobody is immune from some problems with a software. There are some common troubles that may occur when you download and set up the MetaTrader 4 terminal. Let’s try to solve them.
How to tame a proxy server?
Most of enterprises and companies use proxy servers in order to provide indirect Internet services, protect computers from external access and allow users anonymous surfing on the network. So it’s a computer which acts as an agent between the worker’s computer and the Internet. When you download MT4 on the computer you may see a window with an ask to enter the proxy.
MT4 installation on work computer
If you set up Metatrader 4 on your work computer and you don’t know the proxy server, just ask your corporative sysadmin to help you. You can see the proxy server settings in a browser.
How to check the proxy in Google Chrome?
Go to the Google Chrome settings → the “Show advanced settings” tab → click on “Change proxy settings” in the “Network” settings block → click on “Connection Settings” → you’ll see the window which contains the information on the proxy whether you use it or not.
How to check the proxy in Internet-Explorer or Mozilla Firefox?
Go to your browser settings → the “Advanced” tab → click on “Network”.
There you’ll find all the necessary data on the proxy server.
MT4 installation on home computer
1. Check whether antivirus or Firewall prevents the terminal installation. These are programs that are aimed to protect your computer from viruses, spam, and scammers. That’s why the proxy window occurs. Firewall or antivirus thinks that you download something danger. But you know that it is a safe program, so you just need to turn off Firewall or antivirus.
Antivirus can be disabled in its settings. To turn off Firewall:
Go to Control Panel → open “System and Security” → “Windows Firewall” → click on “Turn Windows Firewall on or off” → tick “Turn off Windows Firewall” and confirm your actions.
2. Check the build of the terminal. It can be deprecated. The build is an assembly version of a program. If you are downloading MT4 from the official website, this trouble will hardly occur cause all the builds in the terminal are constantly refreshed. To know the build, go to the “Help” menu of the terminal, “About” tab. If it is really obsolete, remove the terminal and install the latest version of it.
3. Look in what folder The Metatrader 4 setup file is downloaded. It is likely to be in the system folder. Perhaps not all the elements of the terminal are correctly loaded there. Just try to save the installation file in another folder.
No responses after installation
You’ve installed Metatrader 4. Happy for you 🙂 But you’ve just noticed that the terminal does not want to start. In this case, try to do the following things:
- Run the program as administrator, right-click on it and select the corresponding action.
- As I mentioned above, the program can be blocked by Firewall or antivirus. Turn them off.
- Restart your computer and check the Internet connection. Perhaps, your Internet is too slow or doesn’t work at all.
- In the “C:\Program Files\MetaTrader” folder, delete there lastprofile.ini. Herewith, do not empty the basket. After deleting the file, run again the terminal.
- Copy and paste the folder with MT4 to another place. Run the terminal again.
If this article didn’t help you and you still have some troubles, please describe your problem in comments and we’ll try to find the solution together.